The Theatre Island on the Neisse river is the green lungs of the town. In the 19th century a theatre that could accommodate 750 spectators, designed by Oskar Titz, was built there. The theatre attracted many distinguished artists of Europe of the time. The theatre was completely burnt down in 1946. Only the remaining stone stairs leading to the main entrance and the remnants of the columns decorating the facade can recall the glorious days of the building. Today the Island connected with the Polish and German river banks by a permanent bridge is a connection between the two parts of the Euro-Town. This is a beautiful walking area , a destination popular with both Polish and German families, and the possibility of placing a stage there causes that it is a venue of numerous performances of music and dance groups, festivals, picnics and sports events.