Tourism

Tourism

Main Parish Church

One of the most prominent buildings of Gubin are undoubtedly the ruins of the Main Parish Church. The first reference about the church dates back to 1324, the time when trade was there in full swing. The church was built in the Roman style in a shape of a three-aisled basilica. After destruction caused by the earthquakes in the 14th century, the building was demolished and in its place erection of a new Gothic church started. The works lasted very long, and the church got its final shape in 1844. During World War II the church was almost completely destroyed.…

Town Hall

The Town Hall, located in the southern part of the old town, is perfectly set in the surroundings of the ruins of the Parish Church. It was erected in the 14th century and for many years it was the home of local authorities. It was the place where the town councillors met, where lay judges worked and where since 1335 the Mayor had his seat. Throughout the years the town hall building has been rebuilt several times. In the first decade of the 16th century the southern part with the tower was attached, whereas in the 17th century it was…

Fortifications

Medieval fortifications with three gates: the Cloister Gate, the Krosno Gate and the Ostrów Gate , which originated in the 14th and 15th century and which were then fortified in the 16th century with cylindrical towers and barbicans, in the past formed a part of the town huge fortified system. They were demolished in the 19th century due to the bad technical condition. Until today only some fragments dating back to the 14th century have been preserved, namely: the Virgin Tower and the Ostrów Gate Tower. The cylindrical, free standing Ostrów Gate Tower, finished with a frieze and capped with…

Villa Wolf

The villa was located in the present Waszkiewicz Park and belonged to a factory owner Erich Wolf. Its uniqueness was the innovative appearance which it owed to the famous architect Mies van der Rohe. It was built in 1926 and marked the beginning of unusual projects and today it is recognized as the key piece of work of the said architect. In 1945 the villa was burnt down, and after the war the workable materials were used for reconstruction of other buildings. For more information see: https://www.villawolfgubin.eu/

Penitential Crosses

The preserved in Gubin, granite engraved penitential crosses the origin of which is determined at 1453 and 1459. The almost half metre high monuments are located in Śląska Street in the place where, according to the legend, three butchers had a fatal fight for a ham. Another story says about a similar fatal fight of three brothers for an egg. Similar penitential crosses can be found in the surrounding villages.

Theatre Island

The Theatre Island on the Neisse river is the green lungs of the town. In the 19th century a theatre that could accommodate 750 spectators, designed by Oskar Titz, was built there. The theatre attracted many distinguished artists of Europe of the time. The theatre was completely burnt down in 1946. Only the remaining stone stairs leading to the main entrance and the remnants of the columns decorating the facade can recall the glorious days of the building. Today the Island connected with the Polish and German river banks by a permanent bridge is a connection between the two parts…