The Friedrich Wilke Square is the heart of the new town centre of Guben. C.G. Wilke's hat factory which started its activity in 1862 continued until the nineties of the 20th century. After closing the factory, its building was unused. Following a thorough rebuilding and renovation the former production workshops are now the home of the Guben Town Hall, the Town Library, the Museum of the Town and Industry as well as the municipal Johann Cruger Music School. The former Dye Works of the hat factory with its three hoods has become the town landmark and is used as a multifunctional hall being the venue of various events. On the square, in front of the Town Hall, citizens can carve their names on clinker bricks. Furthermore, the town welcomes every new-born citizens by placing an individual brick.